Sunday, November 7, 2010

Nature Misses You


Michael P. Ryan, Yosemite, November 2010
I was having dinner the other night with a couple of friends and as we discussed our plans for the weekend, one friend said he was going to Yosemite with his dad to capture the essence and beauty of Fall through his lens. My other friend who has been working 7 days a week and hasn't had a weekend off in months, looked forlorn and expressed how deeply he longed to go too. Yosemite-Sam responded, "well, what are ya waiting for? It's out there, just waiting for you. Nature misses you."

I am fortunate enough to be in nature every day through my work, but many are not. However, even I crave the solitude of a giant redwood forest or the crashing of the waves on the shore. Everyday we surround ourselves with distractions that ultimately mean very little in the end. Much of our daily lives are filled with tasks that are, simply put, a means to an end. What matters is our connection to all that is alive; to all living beings, which includes our Mother Earth. If you've ever been to Yosemite, you know how your heart nearly skips a beat as you first come upon El Capitan or how the glory of Half Dome almost takes your breathe away. THIS is perhaps one our most precious connections that we as human beings are quickly losing touch with.

This week, I challenge you to get out there in any way possible and really soak in all that nature has to offer. Leave all your technological devices at home and take a walk in the park or through your neighborhood. Notice the smells, the sounds, look up at the trees, feel the grass on your feet, close your eyes and breathe in the air, feel the sun on your face. Take your morning coffee out to your garden and sit for 5 minutes and study a tree, watch a bird, appreciate all that nature has given you today. For it is here always, and it is waiting for you.

1 comment:

  1. I too work outdoors and find I forget to stop and look around. Busying my day with setting stone or building a fence, time keeps my nose to the grind stone. Thanks Cat, for the reminder to take time out and look around. I think the pup and I are off to the woods this weekend.

    ReplyDelete